Undergraduate Forms and Policies

The forms and policies below will assist you through your undergraduate program and will provide important information and knowledge to fulfill your degree requirements.

The College of Education Undergraduate Student Handbook has been created by the Office of Student Services as the main guide for all undergraduate students in the College.

Undergraduate Forms

Applying for Graduation | Criminal History Disclosure Form | Exception to Policy Form |  Foundational Competencies/MCEE | Orientation Documentation/Forms (Student Handbook & Foundational Competencies Policy) | Permission to Enroll Form (Online)Permission to Enroll in more than 16 credits FormAcademic ClemencyAcademic Probation/DismissalAttendanceCancellation of RegistrationGeneral Education Program  | Classification of StudentsDouble DegreeDouble MajorDropping a CourseFundamental Studies BlockHold FileIncompletesLeave of Absence Pass/FailPermission to Enroll (Online) Plus-Minus Grading Policy | Professional ApplicationRepeat PolicySchedule Adjustment PeriodStamp/Electronic Stamp | Study Abroad | Testudo | Virtual Electronic Network University Scheduler (VENUS) | Waitlist

Applying for Graduation
Students intending to graduate must submit a Graduation Candidate Application prior to the last day of the Schedule Adjustment Period of the semester of expected graduation. 

Criminal History Disclosure Statement

The Criminal History Disclosure Statement is required for all students in the College of Education who are entering a field placement (e.g., EDCI 280, EDHD 220 and Student Teaching Yearlong Internship). This form must be notarized. 

The disclosure form must be on file in Room 1204 Benjamin before beginning any placement in the local schools. Questions regarding the Criminal History Disclosure Form should be directed to the Office of Student Services (301-405-2364).

NOTE: No student will be permitted to remain in a class/school with a required field component unless a Criminal History Disclosure Form is on file.

Back to top 
Exception to Policy Form
Students requesting an exception to University or College policy must complete an Exception to Policy

Foundational Competencies/MCEE

Students are required to submit the Foundational Competencies/MCEEform at various points during their degree program (Orientation, Change of Major, Admission to the Professional Teacher Education program). Please retain a copy for your records.

Orientation Documentation & Forms

All incoming Education majors must read the Student Handbook and the Foundational Competencies/MCEE There are two forms to complete and sign: MCEE Self Assessment. Please ensure you keep a copy of both forms for your records and submit original to your advisor.
Permission to Enroll Form (Online)

To complete a program requirement at another institution, current students must complete a Permission to Enroll Online Form and have it approved by their advisor and their College.

Back to top

Permission to Enroll in more than 16 credits

For permission to pre-register for more than 16 credits during early registration, students must submit a Permission to Enroll in More than 16 credits form.  Please complete the form and return to your advisor.
Back to top

Undergraduate Academic Clemency

Degree-seeking undergraduate students who have been away from the University for at least 5 years, and return to pursue their initial baccalaureate degree are eligible to use academic clemency for courses taken previously at the University of Maryland. Under clemency, up to 16 credits of D+, D, D- and F grades may be removed from the calculation of the student's cumulative grade point average (GPA). Students must request academic clemency in their first semester of registration upon re-enrollment.  

NOTE: While the grades and credits are removed from the calculation of the student's grade point average, the grades and credits are NOT removed from the student's transcript. Like a birth certificate, UM transcripts are official state documents and cannot be altered.  Please be aware that most graduate and professional schools do not honor the clemency notation and will recompute applicant grade point averages. 

Back to top

Academic Probation/Dismissal
Please consult the UMD Undergraduate Catalogue for more specific details. 


Please consult the Undergraduate Attendance and Assessment/Examinations portion of the Undergraduate Catalog for more specific information. 

Back to top

Cancellation of Registration
If you wish to cancel your registration, you must do so before the first day of classes. Failure to do so may result in a financial obligation to the University - even if you never attend the course.

Please carefully consult the Schedule of Classes for the refund policies and deadlines.

Back to top

General Education Program 
The campus-wide general education program at UMD is called General Education. General Education makes up about one-third of your undergraduate courses and offers one of the best opportunities you will ever have to explore different fields of study.  For detailed information on General Education, please refer to General Education Requirements in the UMD Undergraduate Catalog.

Back to top

Classification of Students
Undergraduate student classification levels are as follows:

Freshman 1-29 semester hours
Sophomore 30-59 semester hours
Junior 60-89 semester hours
Senior 90+ semester hours
Back to top

Double Degree
A student who wishes to declare a double degree must satisfactorily complete the regularly prescribed requirements of both degree programs and a minimum of 150 credits. At least 18 of the credits applied to the second degree must be in course work not applied to the requirements for the primary degree program. As early as possible, but in no case later than one full academic year before the expected date of graduation, the student must file with the department or programs involved, as well as with the appropriate deans, formal programs showing the courses to be offered to meet the major, supporting area, college, and general education programs. If two colleges are involved in the double degree program, the student must designate which college will be responsible for the maintenance of records and certification of general education requirements. Final approval of a double degree program must be obtained from each of the appropriate departments and college(s). 

Back to top 

Double Major
A student who wishes to declare a double major must satisfactorily complete the regularly prescribed requirements of both major programs and a minimum of 120 credits. Students must obtain written permission in advance from the appropriate departments or programs and colleges. Courses taken for one major may be counted as appropriate as part of the degree requirements for the general education programs. If two colleges are involved in the double major program, the student must designate which college will be responsible for the maintenance of records and certification of general education requirements.

NOTE: All secondary education majors are required to have an academic content major. Fully articulated dual major programs have been developed between various academic disciplines in the Arts and Sciences (e.g., Art, English, Geography, Government, History, Math, Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, World Languages) and Education. With careful advising, freshmen are able to complete the university's General Education requirements along with the academic major and Education major within eight semesters. 

Back to top 

Dropping a Course
The Schedule Adjustment Period is the first ten business days of classes during the Fall or Spring semester. A similar period of time is designated for Summer and Winter Terms. Check the corresponding Academic Deadlines for exact dates.  Also,  please visit the Schedule of Classes for procedures for dropping a course.

Fundamental Studies Block

NOTE: Because ENGL 101 and the mathematics fundamental study requirements are part of the gateway for admission to teacher education, the College of Education strictly enforces the Math and English fundamental studies blocks.

Back to top 

Hold File

Please consult the Office of the Registrar for further information.

Back to top 

Incomplete grades

Policies on Incomplete grades can be found in the undergraduate catalog.

Back to top 

Leave of Absence
A leave of absence is available for students wishing to take time away from the university for personal or academic reasons with the intention of returning the next semester. The leave of absence status is especially helpful for recipients of Federal Financial Aid. The student is not considered to be withdrawn, and is still enrolled for purposes of deferring repayment of federal loans. The leave of absence is only available for the last 60 days of the semester, and the student must return the following semester. (For students using this for Financial Aid deferment, only one leave of absence can be granted in any 12 month period.) With an approved leave of absence, the student may automatically return the next semester, and all registration privileges will be extended. Additional information and forms for applying for a leave of absence are available from Room 1113, Mitchell Building. 

Back to top

Pass/Fail Policy

NOTEThe College will not give students permission to take courses required for the major or for General Education on a Pass/Fail basis.

Back to top 

Plus-Minus Grading Policy
Please review the Undergraduate Catalog Marking System policy (page 107 or printed page 102).

Professional Application & Requirements

The application for the Professional Teacher Education program is now electronic. Please follow the application requirements and instructions. The deadline for all admission applications is May 1st or December 1st by 11:59pm depending on the program.  Please consult your advisor for the appropriate application deadline. 

Repeat Policy
There is a limit to the number of times a student may repeat a course.

Back to top

Schedule Adjustment Period

During the Schedule Adjustment period, students can make changes to their schedule. The Schedule Adjustment Period is the first ten business days of classes during the Fall or Spring semester. For Summer Sessions I and II, this period is shortened to the first 5 days of classes. For Winter term and the 3 week accelerated Summer Sessions, schedule adjustment occurs on the first day of class only. Check the corresponding Academic Deadlines for specific dates.  Also, please visit the Schedule of Classes for procedures for adjusting your schedule.

Back to top

Stamp/Electronic Stamp
Electronic stamps are required for before being eligible to register for courses.

Back to top

Study Abroad

The goal of the University of Maryland Education Abroad Office is to enable students to incorporate a summer, winter, semester, or year abroad into their degree program at Maryland. Study abroad increases awareness of other cultures and languages while providing a comparative international perspective. Students can study in London, Brazil, Vietnam - almost any place in the world! The Study Abroad Office provides information and advisement about all of these opportunities. Given the scheduling and sequencing requirements associated with the professional education course work, students are advised to explore Study Abroad opportunities early in their college career (i.e., Freshman or Sophomore years).

If considering Study Abroad, please consult an Advisor.

Back to top

Testudo is UMD's interactive student resources website. Here you can register for classes, request transcripts, pay your bill, change your address, view the university catalog or schedule of classes, check your financial aid, and take advantage of MANY other online services. 

Back to top

Virtual Electronic Network University Scheduler (VENUS)

Students can use VENUS to help with course planning. VENUS assembles schedules by considering all the possible combinations that can be produced with the courses that a student specifies.

Back to top


When a course reaches maximum enrollment, students are no longer allowed to register for this course. Instead, you may place yourself on the waitlist through TESTUDO. As students drop the course, waitlisted students are added to the course roster.

During the Schedule Adjustment Period (first 10 days of class), waitlisted students must check in daily (via Testudo or in person). Students who do not check in will be removed from the waitlist. Students moved from the waitlist into the course must confirm registration into the course on the same day notification was received. If confirmation is not received, then you may be dropped from the course altogether. Please be aware that being on a course waitlist does not guarantee enrollment/registration. Other alternative courses should be picked as a back-up. If you have any questions, please consult with your advisor.

Please consult the Office of the Registrar for further information.

Back to top