Academic Advising Information
Academic Advising is an essential part of your academic experience at UMD.
Our mission is to help you understand the academic requirements and curricular offerings in the College of Education (COE). Our advisors:
- Assist you with realistically reviewing and planning your academic progress and discussing its relationship to successful degree completion.
- Inform you about different campus resources and services that will help you to make the most of your experience while at the University of Maryland.
- Administer mandatory advising meetings each semester (which are required for all current COE majors).
COE Academic Advising Hours and Scheduling
The COE Office of Student Services is open from 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. Current UMD COE students may schedule appointments through https://terpengage.umd.edu/terpengage-advising.html - more information is listed below.
If you have questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.
Interested in Changing your Major to Education?
You’re invited to attend a Major Exploration Workshop! This is your first step towards becoming an Education major. After attending a workshop, you’ll learn more about how to schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor.
Advising for Current COE Majors
To schedule a Mandatory Advising Appointment (for current COE majors):
- Determine your Academic Advisor based on your major*. (Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unsure.)
- Use testudo.umd.edu to determine your registration appointment date.
- Schedule an appointment with your advisor at least two weeks before your registration appointment date.
- Use terpengage.umd.edu to schedule an appointment with your Academic Advisor.
- Use this link if you would like to connect with us outside of Mandatory Advising as well.
*NOTE: Secondary Education majors must be advised by their Content Area Advisor in addition to meeting with an Education Advisor.
Prepare for Your Appointment
It is important for you to do the necessary groundwork before your advising appointment to get the most out of meeting with your Advisor.
Follow the steps below to ensure that your advising session is a productive one.
- Review your program sheet and your academic completion plan.
- Use the UMD Degree Audit to:
- Check off courses that you have completed or are in the process of completing in the current semester.
- Determine whether you still need to satisfy any General Education requirements.
- Use the Testudo Schedule of Classes to see which of the courses that you need are available in the upcoming semester.
- Plan several tentative schedules because course availability may vary. You can make these schedules using the Schedule of Classes or by using online schedulers such as VENUS, which can be found under the "Office of the Registrar" option on Testudo.
- Bring the list of courses and the tentative schedules with you to your advising appointment.
Advises: Students on Academic Dismissal, Dean's Level Exceptions to Policy
Advises: Special Education, Human Development, Minors: Human Development, Secondary Education, Minor in Second Language Education
Advises: Middle School Math & Science, Secondary Education*
Christie De Leon
Advises: Elementary Education, Early Childhood/Early Childhood Special Education
Office of Student Services
1204 Benjamin – 301.405.2364 – email@example.com