The role of telemental health, tele-consultation, and tele-supervisioin in post disaster and low resource setttings. View a PDF of the article by clicking here
- Augusterfer, E. F., O’Neal, C. R., Martin, S. W., Sheikh, T. L., & Mollica, R. F. (2020) The role of telemental health, tele-consultation, and tele-supervision in post-disaster and low resource settings. Current Psychiatry Reports, 22(12), 85. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11920-020-01209-5
Dual language learners’ grit, engagement, and literacy achievement in elementary school. View a PDF of the article by clicking here
- O’Neal, C. R., Boyars, M.*, & Weston Riley, L.* (2019). Dual language learners’ grit, engagement, and literacy achievement in elementary school. School Psychology International, 40(6) 598–623. https://doi.org/10.1177/0143034319875176
Using Participatory Culture-Specific Consultation With Asian American Communities: Identifying challenges and solutions for Asian American immigrant families.
- Wang, C., Shao, X., Do, K. A., Lu, H., O’Neal, C. R., & Zhang, Y. (2019). Using participatory culture-specific consultation with Asian American communities: Identifying challenges and solutions for Asian American immigrant families. Journal of Educational and Psychological Consultation. https://doi.org/10.1080/10474412.2019.1614453 [Five year impact factor: 1.13]
A Reciprocal, Moderated Mediation Model of Grit, Emotional Engagement, and Literacy Achievement Among Dual Language Learners. View a PDF of the article by clicking here.
- O’Neal, C. R., Golthrite, A., Weston Riley, L., & Atapattu, R.K. (2018). A reciprocal, moderated mediation model of grit, emotional engagement, and literacy achievement among dual language learners. Social Development. http://dx.doi.org10.1111/sode.12288
The Impact of Stress on Later Literacy Achievement via Grit and Engagement Among Dual Language Elementary School Students
View a PDF of the article by clicking here.
- O’Neal, C. R. (2018). The impact of stress on later literacy achievement via grit and engagement among dual language elementary school students. School Psychology International.
Individual Versus Peer Grit: Influence on Later Individual Literacy Achievement of Dual Language Learners View a PDF of the article by clicking here.
- O’Neal, C. R. (2017). Influence of individual versus peer grit on later individual literacy achievement among dual language learners. School Psychology Quarterly.
How True Is Grit? Assessing Its Relations to High School and College Students' Personality Characteristics, Self-Regulation, Engagement, and Achievement View a PDF of the article by clicking here.
- Muenks, K., Wigfield, A., Yang, J. S., & O’Neal, C. R. (2016). How true is grit? Assessing its relations to high school and college students’ personality characteristics, self-regulation, engagement, and achievement. Journal of Educational Psychology.
Change in Depression from Preadolescence to Adolescence: The Role of Early Anger Socialization and Child Anger Among Low-Income, Ethnic Minority Families View a PDF of the article by clicking here.
- O’Neal, C. R., Weston, L. C., He, X., Huang, K. Y., Pine, D. S., Kamboukos, D., & Brotman, L. M. (2017). Change in depression from preadolescence to adolescence: The role of early anger socialization and child anger among low-income, ethnic minority families. Journal of Adolescence, 59, 1-7.
Maternal Responsivity to Infants in the “High Chair” Assessment: Longitudinal Relations with Toddler Outcomes in a Diverse, Low-Income Sample View a PDF of the article by clicking here.
- O’Neal, C. R., Weston, L., Brooks-Gunn, J., Berlin, L. J., & Atapattu, R. (2017). Maternal responsivity to infants in the “High Chair” assessment: Longitudinal relations with toddler outcomes in a diverse, low-income sample. Infant Behavior and Development, 47, 125-137. doi: 10.1016/j.infbeh.2017.04.002
Global Consultation Processes: Lessons Learned from Refugee Teacher Consultation Research in Malaysia View a PDF of the article by clicking here.
- O’Neal, C. R., Gosnell, N., Ng, W. S., Ong, E., & Clement, J. (2017). Global consultation processes: Lessons learned from refugee teacher consultation research in Malaysia. Journal of Educational and Psychological Consultation. doi: 10.1080/10474412.2017.1293544
Refugee Teacher Preventive Intervention Research Promoting Refugee Student Behavior, Attention, and Emotions and Teacher Self-Care View a PDF of the article by clicking here.
- O’Neal, C. R., Gosnell, N., Ng, W. S., & Ong, E. (2017). Refugee teacher preventive intervention research promoting refugee student behavior, attention, and emotions and teacher self-care. Journal of Educational and Psychological Consultation. doi:10.1080/10474412.2017.1287576
Grit Under Duress: Stress, Strengths, and Academic Success Among Non-Citizen and Citizen Latina/o First-Generation College Students View a PDF of the article by clicking here.
- O'Neal, C.R., Espino, M. M., Goldthrite, A., Morin, M.F., Weston, L., Hernandez, P., Fuhrmann, A. (2016). Grit under duress: Stress, strengths, and academic success among non-citizen and citizen Latina/o first-generation college students. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 38(4), 446-466.
Undocumented Latina/o college students face obstacles and stressors; their stressful experiences and academic strengths merit empirical attention.
This cross-sectional, mixed-methods study explored stress, depression, grit, and grade point average (GPA) among non-citizen, Latina/o first-generation college students, as compared to citizen, Latina/o first-generation college students in Maryland.
The study explores similarities and differences between both groups, with implications for ecological processes and achievement for Latino/a undocumented college students.
Classroom Management and Socioemotional Functioning of Burmese Refugee Students Download a PDF of the article by clicking here.
- O’Neal, C. R., Atapattu, R., Jegathesan, A., Ong, E., Clement, J., & Ganesan, A. (2016). Classroom management and socioemotional functioning of Burmese refugee students in Malaysia. Journal of Education and Psychological Consultation.
Refugee children in Malaysia are not allowed to attend public school. While hidden refugee schools exist, they only reach a fraction of the Burmese refugee children in Malaysia.
This journal article describes a participatory culture-specific consultation (PCSC) approach to examine the socioemotional and classroom management issues among Burmese refugee children in some of these hidden classrooms.
A number of themes emerged from consultation, including issues pertaining to the students' mental health, societal pressures, and the teachers' classroom management strategies.
Don't Forget the Children In Burma. View the full article at The Diplomat's website.
News Magazine Article
Grit Consultation Manual
This manual guides psychologists in collaborating with teachers to implement grit interventions for students. Two successful case studies are used to show how this can be done, and recommendations are made for culturally-responsive adaptations to serve diverse school settings. The manual includes a new set of questionnaires based on the original Grit Scale. These questionnaires are adapted for a younger population of students and for teachers' use. We are currently working on a new publication that describes the psychometric qualities of these adapted scales.