Human Development Program
|Degree:||M.A., M.Ed., and Ph.D.|
|UMD Graduate School General Requirements:|| |
“The goal of this essay is to get to know you as an individual and as a potential graduate student.” We recommend that this statement follow these guidelines, and include:
1) Letters of Recommendation (3): recommendation letters may come from professors, school administrators, supervisors, and/or any other person who can effectively comment on your potential for success in a research-based PhD program in Human Development with a focus on Developmental Science and Educational Psychology. We recommend that letters of recommendation be from those that know you/your work well and comment on what you have done so far.
2) Open Response: In 200-300 words, describe your quantitative and/or analytical skills, knowledge and prior experience. These may include college and/or AP level mathematics and statistics courses, experience with mathematical and/or statistical software packages, quantitative experience in past research activities and/or work experience. The research-based PhD program in Human Development is mathematically and statistically rigorous to facilitate students’ learning and use of advanced quantitative methodologies. Therefore, evidence of applicants’ quantitative proficiency is required.
3) Writing Sample: Submit an article, report, or manuscript in which you were the primary author (e.g., peer-reviewed journal publication or conference presentation paper in which you were the primary author, or alternatively, a master’s or undergraduate thesis, or school report/literature review). We encourage you to submit something you have already written; though, you may write something new.
|Program-Specific Optional:|| |
December 8, 2021 (Fall only, domestic)
|M.Ed. Off-Campus |
|June 1, 2021 (Fall)|
|December 8, 2021 (Fall only, domestic) |
December 1, 2021 (Fall only, international)
* Please note: EDHD requires all applicants to submit official transcripts (hard copies) to: University of Maryland, College Park, Enrollment Services Operation/Graduate Admissions, Room 0130 Mitchell Building, College Park, MD 20742.
Students are required to submit all required documents before submitting their application: Purpose Statement, recommendation letters, transcripts, GRE scores (optional) and TOEFL/IELTS/PTE for international graduate students. Due to COVID-19, the Educational Testing Service is temporarily offering the GRE General Test online. Should students wish for their GRE scores to be considered, please visit the GRE testing site directly.
Master's Cohort/Human Development (MCHD) Off-Campus Program
The department offers an on- and off-campus program. To ensure you apply for the off-campus program, once you arrive to the “Educational Intent” section of the application:
- For area of intent, please select for the degree: Masters, then Human Dev. M.Ed., then select term (i.e., Fall '21).
- Then, in area of interest, please select Masters in Human Development (off-campus).
If you need additional assistance, please contact Jannitta Graham at firstname.lastname@example.org or (301) 405-8432.
Measurement, Statistics & Evaluation Program
|Degree:||M.S. and Ph.D.|
|UMD Graduate |
|Statement of Purpose |
TOEFL/IELTS/PTE (international graduate students)
Letters of Recommendation (3)
November 5, 2021 (Spring domestic) (preferred)**
November 5, 2021 (Fall domestic) (preferred)**
October 1, 2021 (Spring international) (preferred)**
October 1, 2021 (Fall international) (preferred)**
|Measurement, Statistics & Evaluation|
* Please note: EDMS requires all applicants to submit all required documents before submitting their application: 1) CV/Resume; 2) Statement of Purpose; 3) three (3) letters of recommendation; 4) GRE scores ; 5) If international, TOEFL/IELTS/PTE scores may also be required; 6) upload a copy of official transcript(s) with the degree conferred posted (unless the degree is still in progress), If International transcripts (Original language transcript, certificate and diploma along with an English translation of each document). Note: Official transcripts are not required unless admitted and enrolled, in which, the official transcripts would then be required by the end of the first semester of enrollment to the Graduate School.
Students are required to submit all required documents before submitting their application: CV and Purpose Statement, (3) recommendation letters, transcripts, GRE scores and TOEFL/IELTS/PTE for international graduate students. Due to COVID-19, the Educational Testing Service is temporarily offering the GRE General Test online.
** For consideration of funding, please submit your application by the preferred deadline.